If you are the caretaker for an aging loved one, you must be vigilant when fall proofing your home. Fall prevention is an essential part of helping prevent falls in aging adults and keeping them safe and healthy.
Aging adults are already at a higher risk of falls due to various age-related risk factors. If a fall occurs, aging adults are at a much higher risk of serious injury and face a more challenging recovery process.
At Next Day Access, we offer several accessibility and mobility devices to keep our aging loved ones from falling. Our goal is that your aging loved one can age safely in place.
Here are a few warning signs your loved one might not be as steady on their feet. If you notice any of these signs, we urge you to contact us so we can help.
Warning Signs to Help Prevent Falls in Aging Adults:
- A decline in eyesight or hearing
- Poor balance when walking, possibly with an uneven gait
- Injuries, pain or stiffness in feet, ankles, knees, or hips
- Relying on support when walking, sitting down, or getting up
- Newly diagnosed conditions such as Parkinson’s, Diabetes, Arthritis, or Hypertension.
- Cognitive impairment or dementia
- New prescriptions with side effects include drowsiness, muscle weakness, poor balance, poor vision, or dizziness.
Avoid Slip Hazards or Obstacles
- Steps without handrails and proper lighting
- Showers and bathtubs without a non-slip tread rug
- Hard to reach important items
- Hallways without proper nighttime lighting
- Any loose items or rugs could be a trip hazard
Next Day Access offers almost everything you need to keep your aging loved one safe. We have everything from grab bars for the bathroom, railings for hallways and steps, and even stair lifts and wheelchair ramps. Contact us today to set up a complimentary consultation.