Wheelchair-Money_Small-628x353Home accessibility modifications can often be costly expenses that not only require customization, but the cost of professional labor and installation. However, often these expenses can’t be avoided as seniors want to age in place and remain in their homes for as long as possible.

At Next Day Access, we’re committed to helping you live a safe and mobile life within your home. To help advance that mission, here are some resources that will help you find funding for home accessibility modifications.

Federal & State Organizations

  • The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides grants for some service members and veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities to help them buy or build an adapted home, modify an existing home, or otherwise accommodate their disability. The two grant programs are the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant. You can apply online or call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you.
  • The United Spinal Association offers a guide on home modifications, including information about resources that can help individuals with spinal cord injuries pay for home accessibility modifications. The American Occupational Therapy Association has more information as well.
  • According to Eldercare.gov, many minor home modifications and repairs cost between $150 and $2,000. Some home remodeling contractors offer reduced rates and charge sliding-scale fees based on a person’s income and ability to pay.  Some state Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) have home modification programs or can refer you to other organizations that can help pay for home repairs and modifications.
  • The USDA’s Single Family Housing Repair program provides loans to very low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes and grants to elderly very low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards. Contact your USDA state office for more information about this program.
  • Some state housing finance agencies have loan programs that help people with disabilities (or who have a family member living in the household  with disabilities) who are buying a home that needs accessibility modifications. Many states have home modification programs that are part of their state Assistive Technology programs.  These programs provide low-interest loans to buy assistive technology or to help pay for home modifications and adaptations to make your home safe and accessible.

Private Organizations and Nonprofits

  • The National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification promotes aging in place for seniors and people who are aging with a disability. The Center gives families and individuals the knowledge they need to plan for their housing, health and supportive service needs. Check your state’s listings for agencies and organizations near you that can help with home modifications.
  • Rebuilding Together is a nonprofit organization that provides home repair and modification services for low-income families, people with disabilities, seniors and Veterans and military families. Also helps families whose homes have been damaged by natural disasters. Contact your local affiliate for more information.
  • Your local Independent Living Center (ILC) may be able to make some suggestions about how to pay for home modifications such as adding a wheelchair ramp or widening the doorway to your bathroom. ILCs also provide advocacy and support services for people with disabilities, including assistance with housing, health care and independent living skills.
  • Easy Access Housing for Easier Living is a brochure from Easter Seals that has tips on how to adapt your home to accommodate a person with a disability. Your local Easter Seals chapter  can provide you with information about possible financing options to pay for modifications to make your home accessible.
  • Your local Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) may be able to refer you to an organization or company that provides home modifications services. ADRCs offer information on long-term supports and services for older adults and people with disabilities.

To learn more about home accessibility modifications, products, services, and installations, or to schedule your free home accessibility assessment, give us a call today at (800) 423-0751.