Are you preparing your home so you can safely age in place? Here is a checklist to help ensure every area of your home is accessible and safe. At Next Day Access, we offer an assortment of mobility and accessibility products available. Check out how to improve the comfort and safety of your home.
Entry to Home
You will need to invest in a wheelchair ramp or a vertical platform installed at the front door. We also offer thresholds which allow mobility devices to maneuver over a front entry step. This can help an aging adult enter the home with more ease. Lastly, make sure there is plenty of lighting in your entryway.
Throughout the Home
- Doorways need to have a 36-inch width to allow wheelchairs and walker devices room to maneuver.
- Area rugs are trip hazards. It is best to put away all area rugs.
- If the home is a 2-story, consider installing a stairlift or elevator to help you access your bedroom.
- If you are in a wheelchair, to turn comfortably, you need a 60-inch open radius. Therefore, make sure furniture is arranged so you can move easily.
In the Kitchen
- Arthritis or developing weakness can make turning knobs difficult. Instead, consider a touchless or lever handle faucet.
- Move everyday items to accessible places and consider hide-away or pull-out cabinets for easier use.
In the Bathroom
- The bathroom needs to be at least 5 feet by 8 feet to fit a wheelchair comfortably.
- Floors can become slippery. Installing non-slip flooring or non-slip mats can prevent falls. You can also include the non-slip mats in the bathtub.
- A shower chair and a hand-held shower needs to be installed in the shower.
- Grab bars need to be placed strategically throughout the bathroom.
- A walk-in-tub should be considered sooner than later. Stepping over a bathtub is a leading cause of severe falls for older adults.
Lastly, a ceiling lift for safe transfer is a fantastic solution to help if you or your loved one have limited mobility. A caregiver can assist with transfer from bed to chair or from room to room.
If you or your loved one needs help deciding which mobility and accessibility, contact us at Next Day Access. During the consultation, we will come to your home to help show the many areas that might need a solution.