If a long winter of snow, ice and shivering has you dreaming of a spring getaway to warmer weather, you are not alone. Although sandy beaches offer the sunshine and warmer temperatures you’ve been dreaming of, the sandy terrain might seem like a roadblock between your mobility device and the sun soaked days of your dreams. Next Day Access strives to help you find quality, accessible options to improve your life each day, and we suggest the following warm-weather tips to get the most out of your beachside getaway:
- Research readily accessible beach options: Beachside tourist spots are revamping to accommodate those who utilize mobility devices. Be on the lookout for beach areas that feature wooden or paved walking paths around the perimeter and boardwalks that extend into the sand from nearby handicap parking areas. Consider also the location of restrooms and changing houses to ensure an enjoyable outing.
- Beach exploring wheelchairs: Sand, gravel, and dirt paths create a hassle when navigating your usual wheelchair around the beach and other unpaved areas. With oversized all terrain tires and breathable mesh seating, beach wheelchairs are designed to help you tackle the different paths with ease. Be sure to check with your beach’s lifeguard station or your hotel’s concierge to see if they have a few for paid or free rental, or ask around at beachside storefronts.
- Bring planks or tarps: If a beach wheelchair isn’t readily available, pack a few durable tarps or wood planks for your excursion. When you lay them out, the barrier between sand and wheels creates a runway to get you from your parking spot to your chosen sandy spot with ease. Bringing multiple planks or tarps allows you to station your chair on one surface while the other is placed in front of you, creating a rotation for an adjustable path.
- Wear a floatation device: When it’s time to cool off in the waves, your friend, family or caregiver can give you a hand guiding you from sitting in your chair to sitting in shallow waters. Wearing some sort of flotation belt unobtrusively offers back support while you sit and also offers a safety aspect in the event of tipping for those with weak muscle control.
- Take advantage of vacation shopping: Escaping the scorching midday sun by checking out nearby shops is part of a successful day at the beach. Visit delicious restaurants outside of peak meal hours to avoid the throngs of tourists, and look for restaurants that have sidewalks and outdoor or patio seating options to enjoy the breeze.
Travelling can be stressful when you have mobility devices to think about. However, transporting your mobility chair doesn’t need to be a hassle. Our line of portable wheelchair ramps give you the portable, lightweight solutions you need to get from the parking lot to the beach in no time. Questions? Let us know!